Friday, July 13, 2012

Author interview with Nicia!

R- Howdy ya’ll, back with another writer here to bare her soul!  Nicia has drabbled with us before and we’re happy to have her for another round.

J- It’s great to have you here Nicia... In an attempt to streamline these a little more, we’re going to get the “writing” questions out of the way first... So, inquiring minds want to know: What was the first thing you wrote and when?

N- I’m going to put it on the table right from the start so that no one gets confused. I’m a Vampire Academy fanfic writer. So if I mention Rose and Dimitri, I’m talking about the leads in that series, not the Twilight ones.




R- *whispers*  They’re really good.

J- Ohhh... I know absolutely nothing about Vampire Academy... but I do like Sophia Bush.
         
N- The first fic I ever wrote was called True Love Never Runs Smooth. *cringes at the title* I started writing it right at the end of July 2009, in the summer holidays after I finished my GCSE’s. Looking back at it now, part of me wants to delete it, but it shows me how far I’ve come and how much my writing has developed and improved. The fact that so many people read it and enjoyed it is astounding. Up until my current WIP Life Will Turn Around, it was my most popular fic by miles (looking at the hits count). The fact that even now I still get occasional alerts and favourites for it is mind blowing.

R- Given your love for the VA fandom, we’re curious if you write for any of the others?

N- At the moment, kinda. At one point, I was writing a fic for the Need pixies series by Carrie Jones (it’s a great series!), but trying to write that and my fic Who are you, really was impossible. I only managed to get two chapters done before I had to pull it and focus on WAYR fully. I entered the Dirty Cheeky Monkeys Spring Squeezing contest with GSDM Canada and for that we wrote a Twific called Just a Kiss which won third place in the Judge’s Choice and also won the ‘Steamiest’ award. ;) I’m also co-writing a Night World series fanfic with Rose Melissa Ivashkov, called Meant to Be


J - So Nicia, have you been published? If not, is it something you would like to do?

N- I haven’t been published. I’ve had a few readers ask me if I ever wanted to publish or asking me when I’m going to write a book so they can go and buy it, but honestly, it’s not something I see myself doing. I tried to write a book before and that failed miserable. I’m going to try NaNoWriMo this year and see if I can do it this time around, but I don’t think I have the talent to be able to create my own world and rules and everything else that’s needed. I much prefer taking someone else’s established characters and manipulating them for the plots that pop into my mind!

R- Time to get down to business, can you tell us about your entry for the Drabble War? Title, pairing, are we going to need kleenex or fresh panties on hand? You know, the juicy stuff!




N- At the moment the story is split between being called ‘Shhhh’ or ‘Better the Enemy You Know’. I couldn’t decide and I’m still waiting to hear back from one pre-reader to see what they think before I make my final decision. It’s a very dark fic and it’s a story where Rose and Adrian are owned by someone else (I can’t reveal the name otherwise it’ll spoil it). Essentially they’re prostitutes trapped in a life that they hate, but they can’t leave, and at certain times they don’t want to leave. Their relationship with their owner is very twisted you could say. They hate him for what he’s done, but in their own way, they love him. Even when they become the prize in a bet. I’m surprised none of my pre-reader’s asked ‘WTH were you smoking when you thought this up and why on Earth did you go ahead and write it?!?!) The pairing… that’s a tough question. Rose isn’t really with anyone. There’s interaction between her and Adrian, but they’re not in a relationship, they’re just close friends who got into this mess together. Dimitri enters the fic right at the end, so I don’t think they could be considered the pairing. It could be Rose and the owner, but that name won’t be put in until he’s revealed in the fic. As for anything you’ll need during/after, probably a good, fluffy, smutty fic in your favourite fandom! xD



R- *perks up* sounds very interesting.

J- Okay, time for some recs... pick up to three stories you’d like to recommend, you know, the ones that always tickle at the back of your head.

N- Oh gosh, I hate having to recommend fics. I always forget one, and to recommend only three?

J- *looks at tb and shrugs*

R- Sure!

N- Can I recommend a couple of authors?

Rivereq – she was one of the first people whose VA fics I read when I entered the VA fandom. Her writing is amazing, but so overlooked. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2223593/rivereq

Together Again by GSDM Canada. She wrote it for my birthday, and hot damn it was amazing. So realistic and exactly like things would have gone if Richelle Mead (the author of VA) had written it with a really hot lemon at the end!

And Rose Melissa Ivashkov. She was the first author whose RosexAdrian fics I read when I entered the VA fandom. Now I’m a steadfast RosexDimitri girl but I love her work. She is the only one whose RxA fics I will go back to time and time again.

Little-Angry-Kitten also wrote an awesome threesome o/s. My gosh, it still makes me blush when I read it!

R- *scribbles furiously on my TBR list* Okay, now that that’s out of the way, on to the good stuff, some silly fun to let us, and your readers, get to really know the person behind the penname...

J- First off, what’s your relationship status and do you have any kiddos?

N- I am single. :/ And nope, no kids. I’m only nineteen and getting ready for my second year of university!

R- *rubs hands together* Well, In that case, what would your first thought be if you had learnt that you won a lottery?

N- Mum, is this serious?

R- PMSL!

J- bwahahaha... I’d prolly be right there with you.

R- Time for another interesting one, how would you react if you were transformed into a fish?

N- LOL. Ummm, probably swim around in a little panic and then try to think of who I’d pissed off and would have had me cursed into a fish. Unless I was transformed into a fish and wasn’t in any water. Then I’d probably flop around trying to get to some water so I could breathe!


J- *snickers* thanks for the visual tb!

R- My pleasure, so next up, what do you like to wear when you go to work?

N- I work two jobs. During the holidays I work as a receptionist/secretary at a sport scheme for kids who are aged 8-16, so I try to dress in a smart/casual sense. We have to wear the light blue polo shirt we were given that says ‘Just Sports’ on the back. If I’m helping the coaches out then I’ll also change into tracksuit bottoms and trainers, if I’m staying at the desk all day I just wear jeans, or a skirt or dress. It all depends on the weather.




My second job which I recently started is in a pub. We have a black shirt what has the pub name and logo just above the left breast. We also have to wear read badges that say ‘Challenge 21. It’s my job to ask.’ If anyone who looks under 21 tries to come in and buy alcoholic drinks etc, we have to ID them to ensure that they’re 18 or over. With that we have to wear smart black trousers and black 




shoes.

R- Oh, I bet that’s fun...NOT!

J- Time for my favorite question... who would win a battle between a ninja and a pirate?

N- A ninja is probably more skilled, but then a pirate is more sneaky. In hand-to-hand combat the ninja would probably win, but if they were both on pirate ships the pirate would win from experience. Oh, if they were using swords, it would probably be very hard to judge. Pirate sword versus samurai sword, I couldn’t say which would win.

R- Well, at least it wasn’t an absolute Ninja victory... again. But it wasn’t exactly a pirate win either...





J- *shrugs* we have to give her props for an original answer... Moving on, can you tell us three things about yourself that would surprise readers.

N-
1.    I’m Black British.
2.    I’m an Irish dancer.
3.    I’m a HUGE Disney fan. True love, romanticism, love at first sight, soul mates, I believe in and want all of that.




J- All together now...AWWWWW!

R- So Nicia, here’s the last one. If you were a character from ‘Twilight,’ which one would you be and why?

N- Hmmmm. Since I’m not really a huge Twilight fan I’m not sure. Maybe Alice. The power of premonition would be quite cool; it would help a lot, especially during events that lead to situations where hindsight does nothing to help. Or maybe Benjamin. Then I could ensure that it was always sunny wherever I was!




R- I think that’s the most unique answer I’ve heard!  I like it :)  Well folks, that’s it for today... thanks for joining us and be sure to alert Nicia so that you don’t miss out on a whole new version of Rose and Dimitri that will leave you hungry for more!

J- *waves* we’ll see you next time everyone!

1 comments:

Lolo84 said...

I think I might need to read me some Vampire Academy!!!

Very interesting Nicia :-)

Post a Comment

 
Design by JA Mash